Monday 9 April 2012

Why Does Easter Egg Chocolate Taste Better Than Regular Chocolate?

Despite my love of all food, I do have a slightly take-it-or-leave it approach to chocolate. However, at this time of year, I do get cravings for that sweet, milky shards of an Easter egg. It doesn't even have to be fine 70% solids chocolate. Nope, plain old Cadbury's cheap confectionary is the only cure for my sweet tooth desire.

Because there is something extra nice about Easter egg chocolate. Essentially, a shell of Cadbury's Easter egg is nothing more than a bar of Dairy Milk. But for some reason when the chocolate is in egg form, it transcends being a run of the mill chocolate bar and is elevated to a heavenly chocolatey symbol of fertility.

In all serious, like advent calendar chocolate, it genuinely tastes so much better. I always put my Easter eggs in the fridge and taking out a shard of broken brown bliss and slowly letting it melt over my tongue is pure pleasure. I think the reason it tastes so much better is due to thickness. Lovely thin, sheets of chocolate that snap satisfyingly when you break a fragment off; it's so much nicer than a breeze block of chocolate that you get everyday.


And I think the other reason is that it comes down to seasonality. Like mince pies, Easter eggs are that rare food we just don't get nowadays - something only available for a limited period of the year. With modern production we get strawberries in winter and even hot cross buns are available all year round.

The Easter egg is therefore a treat to be snatched at when the opportunity arises because, come May, you have a whole other year to wait before you can get your hands on that sweet treasure enrobed in its aluminium dressing. So whether or not I'm crazy for thinking it's nicer than regular chocolate, I'm going to crack to devour my chocolate joy with gusto whilst I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment